{please vote for me.... it only takes a minute!! ~thanks}

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Monday, February 6, 2012

It is NOT a skirt!!

We Steve has Scottish blood. So when a Scottish Festival comes around we haul the boys out to see men being really proud to walk around in the open wearing skirts.... KILTS!!

I heard an advertisement for the Scottish festival on the radio, and almost missed it because I missed an entire week!! I mean really, forgetting what day it is, is one thing... I really was in a totally different week!! Anyway, once I realized what day it was we packed up the boys and their friend C. It was a beautiful day to go and I am so glad we did!

We pulled up and the very observant boys notice the obvious that there were a lot of boys wearing skirts. "Why are they wearing skirts?" "Why do they all look the same?" "Do they have to wear shorts under their skirts like my sister do?" {that one was from C} "Do you think their legs get cold?"

Steve and I had to explain that the men are not wear skirts, and they will not appreciate the term skirt, nor will they find it funny. They understood and off we went.

All the boys got to try on some helmets, they were really heavy. And most complained about one of two things while their head was in a bucket... that they couldn't see very well, and that it smelt funny. We later learned that the makers of the helmet actually use them to fight and joust in.... I will trust the boys in the fact that they smelt funny.

Steve went in one direction and went to find his Clan. The way they had that area set up did not allow for a huge stroller and 4 extras that wander easily to safely make it from one end of the tents to the other, so we did something else.

We went and participated in our own Scottish games!
Here we have the Haggis Toss.
You do just as it says.... Toss some Haggis.
You pick up some haggis and throw it.... I'm not sure but I don't think there is to much to this event...

Next up... the Caber Toss
 This time you pick up a log and toss it. C was able to get it.
Tommy's just tipped his log out of his hands.
And Tim didn't let go. He ran to the end and dropped it there... Then he declared himself the winner.
 James had the best form and with no training, I figured it must be the Scottish blood coming through.

On to the Sheep Toss.... I'm starting the thing that the Scottish have no other forms of entertainment than to toss things.
Pick a sheep, and see who can toss it the farthest 

I don't remember what this one was called but can you guess what they are doing, I'm sensing a pattern are you?? Go on take a wild guess...
More tossing.... although this doesn't look like it's going to end well for Tommy.
C was actually able to do it and make it over most of the bars!!!
It took James a couple tries to get it over.
It was a lot more coordination than he thought.
In the end though he finally made it over the bar.
Tim had a hard time and I was just happy that he didn't wap anyone in the face with the shovel.
Benji needed to try too and he can grunt and growl with the best of them... those are his Scottish genes coming through!

Anyway, once the boys were done tossing things we headed over to have lunch. We found a quiet place... right next to where all the bagpipes were practicing.

Honestly I do find it funny that men, on any normal day would not ever be caught near a skirt, but one day a year they don a kilt and walk around a park praying that they wind doesn't blow to hard.
Now I'm not a total expert, but I think the Scottish days are to celebrate the way it use to be in not so modern times... I don't think people had cell phones way back when... I'm not buying that this guy is Scottish... the outfit isn't right and the phone just throws the whole thing off.
The boys were getting board watching everyone else fight... and be allowed to, so we bought them swords and found them an area where they couldn't hurt anyone else.
They are having an "All for one and one for all" moment here.
I thought this was a good picture of C and Tommy. They look fierce don't they??
{Clearly Tommy forgot "All for one, one for all"...}

It was a fun day. It was a lot of walking and pushing of a stroller. Benji wasn't allowed out much because he's cute... and people like cute babies... and Benji would probably go with them.... I like him to much to let him wonder off.

Steve reconnected with his Clan members. I am going to join the DAR. The boys did not injure themselves or each other. So I would say it was a success!!

No comments:

one quick click will help me get into the top 25!!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory